As you have probably already heard, Sitecore 8.2 is “finally” fully suporting Azure PAAS
In practical terms since the Update 1 version Sitecore is shipping the full platform on Azure to run in PAAS mode and it is officially supporting it.
New building blocks of your PAAS deployment model will be:
- Content Delivery servers on Web Apps (Azure App Service) – it means autoscaling + Application Insight
- Azure Redis Cache for Session State Provider
- Azure Search as distributed Search Provider
- XDB – is still not fully supported in native PAAS mode, but you can provision it on MLAB or in IAAS mode on your VM – Note that Document DB x Mongo is not supported
- SQL Azure – Master -Core-Web + reporting DB
- Content Management as a different Azure App Service
- Processing & Reporting as a different Web Apps or consolidated in the CM role
What has drastically changed? – Logs management now it is part of Application Insight, support for Azure Redis for the Session State Provider, Azure Search is now recommended instead of SOLR.
How do I deploy Sitecore on Azure?
- Azure Market place (not recommended, it deploy 8.2 Update 2)
- ARM Templates + Sitecore Azure Toolkit + WebDeploy packages available on dev.sitecore.net
Sitecore reccomend you also the Sizes to run Sitecore on PAAS
My personal recommendation having played with it is to go definitively with Update 3 or a following version and not to use the Azure Market Place to provision your production environment.